My appeal and a list to share.
I’ve been reading a lot of moving, passionate opinions and been processing all day. This is where I landed.
To be honest, I'm not sad or angry for me. I think, as a female member of what’s often considered an invisible minority, the racism and sexism I experience on my own is not pernicious enough to prevent me from being my best self especially since I’m bolstered by my well paying job and my relatively progressive environment; this could very well change in the future.
Instead, I am sad and angry for people who have had little by way of privilege. People whose lives are quite literally, physically threatened by a Trump presidency. People who sit somewhere at the intersection of Black, Latino, LGBTQ, Disabled, Poor, Muslim, Female, Immigrant and more. If there was ever a good time to check your privilege, it's now, when what we need most is to cooperate and empathize. If you are white, or privileged Asian, or straight, or have money to pay your bills, or have never stood at your front door and been accused of trying to break in, or went to college - then educate yourself on your privileges.
Make a list. Does your privilege make you a bad person? No. Does it mean you don't have your own struggles? No. It simply means that you're acknowledging that you were given various unearned advantages in life based on systemic prejudice. Take that list and show it to people. Acknowledge that there are institutional inequalities in this world and while intersectionality certainly plays a role in every person's life, there are indeed some intersections that will lose and have lost, every.single.time.
I’ve included my list of privileges below. And it’s a long one. I’m not ashamed of it. I have two immigrant parents who gave up everything of theirs to give me everything that’s now mine. I am also not maligning either the Asian-American experience or the white feminist. However, I strongly believe that now is not a time to be thinking of just ourselves. I know racism. I know sexism. I have experienced both first hand and in tandem with each other. But I also know there are those whose very lives and futures are not secure like mine, and I have a vested interest in seeing people who are oppressed succeed, because let’s be real, I benefit from it too.
So to everyone out there: I want you to know I am your ally. I’m not here to speak on your behalf; I’m here to learn and I hope that in the very near future I can fight alongside with you. -- T My privileges:
- The list goes on, but I should probably go back to work...
- East Asian
- Job that pays absurdly well
- Roof over my head
- Food security
- White boyfriend
- Grew up middle class
- Went to college
- Don’t have student debt
- Live in San Francisco
- Have always had reliable access to birth control
- Am an able-bodied person
- Have never been called a terrorist
- Have never been afraid to tell someone about my relationships and who they were with

No comments: